The purpose of the Theory Evaluation Paper is to help you critically evaluate a middle-range nursing theory. This assignment will be completed using the three stages of the theory evaluation process: Theory Description, Theory Analysis, and Theory Evaluation.
- Select a Middle-Range Nursing Theory- Select one specific middle-range nursing theory from your textbook that best suits your area of practice. (Ex. Pender’s Health Promotion Model, Kolcaba’s Comfort Theory, Beck’s Postpartum Depression Theory, etc.)
- APA Student Title Page– (No Abstract Needed)
- Include the following information on the Student title page in 7th APA format:
- Assignment name in Bold Font: (Ex. Theory Evaluation Paper: Swanson’s Theory of Caring)
- Skip a Line
- Your Name
- Name of University
- Course Number and Name
- Instructor’s Name
- Date of Submission (Month, Day, Year)
- Introductory paragraph Capture the reader’s attention (ex. Grabbing statistics) and discuss the rationale for selecting the specific nursing theory for your area of nursing over other nursing theories (Do not write in first person; Include a purpose/thesis statement of what you will describe in the paper as the last sentence of the introductory paragraph.) Next, begin the Body of Paper.
- Theory Description (Level 1 Header)
- Purpose (Level 2 Header); (Designate as Descriptive, Explanatory, Predictive, or Prescriptive; Include Scope-middle-range)
- Concepts (Level 2 Header); (Introduce and list main concepts)
- Definitions (Level 2 Header); (Define concepts and other important aspects)
- Relationship (Level 2 Header); (Describe relationship among concepts)
- Structure (Level 2 Header); (Describe; Is there a diagram of structure?)
- Assumptions (Level 2 Header); (beliefs, propositions of the theory)
5. Theory Analysis (Level 1 Header)
- Theory’s Origin (Level 2 Header); (historical creation and evolution of theory)
- Unique Focus (Level 2 Header); (distinctive views)
- Content (Level 2 Header); (include definitions of metaparadigm concepts of person, environment, health, and nursing)
6. Theory Evaluation (Level 1 Header)
- Significance (Level 2 Header); (usefulness, social significance, cultural significance)
- Comprehensiveness (Level 2 Header); (of the content, thoroughness, utility)
- Logical Congruence (Level 2 Header); (consistency and clarity of theory; consistent use of concepts throughout the literature)
- Credibility (Level 2 Header); (legitimacy, empirical support through research)
- Contribution to Nursing (Level 2 Header); (usefulness to nursing practice, education, and research)
7. Conclusion (Level 1 Header) Conclusion paragraph with concluding statements to summarize the content and re-state or re-phrase the purpose/thesis statement.
8. APA Reference Page- Please be sure to support your paper with in-text citations. Please use 5 peer-reviewed resources.
Additional Instructions: Your assignment should be typed into a Word or other word processing document, formatted in APA style. Paper should be a minimum of 4-5 pages in length, excluding the title and references pages. You may increase the number of pages of the body of the paper up to 7-8 pages if needed. This is a scholarly paper and should not be written in first person. Paragraphs should have a minimum of 3 sentences. Paraphrasing should be done using in-text citations. Direct quotes should be rare and used only when the content can be said in no other way. If using direct quotes, you must include page or paragraph number.
Unit 4 Required Resources
- McEwen, M. & Wills, E. (2019). Theoretical basis for nursing (5th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. ISBN 9781496351203.
- Chapters 17 and 21
- Chinn, P. & Kramer, M. (2018) Knowledge development in nursing: Theory and process (10th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier. ISBN 9780323530613
- Chapter 8
- Toolshero. (2019). Authentic leadership (Links to an external site.). [Website]. Retrieved from https://www.toolshero.com/leadership/authentic-leadership/
- Toolshero. (2019). Leadership (Links to an external site.). [Website]. Retrieved from https://www.toolshero.com/leadership/
- Clavelle, J.T., DNP, RN, NEA-BC, FACHE, & Prado-Inzerillo, M., DNP, RN, NEA-BC. (2018, November). Inspire others through transformational leadership (Links to an external site.). American Nurse Today, 13(11). [Website]. Retrieved from https://www.americannursetoday.com/inspire-transformational-leadership/
- Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership. (2016). What is servant leadership (Links to an external site.)? [Website]. Retrieved from https://www.greenleaf.org/what-is-servant-leadership/
- American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (7th ed.). https://doi.org/10.1037/0000165-000
Please view the following two videos or powerpoint presentations. They are offered in two formats for your viewing preference.
- Leadership Theories download[Powerpoint presentation]
- Module 4.1 Notes Leadership Theory download[Narrative Script Word Doc]
- Leadership Theories in Practice download[Powerpoint presentation]
- Module 4.2 Notes In Practice download[Narrative Script Word Doc]
- AONL (Formerly AONE). (2019). Certified in Executive Nursing Practice Certification (Links to an external site.). [Website]. Retrieved from https://www.aonl.org/initiatives/cenp
- ANCC (NL). (n.d.). Nurse Executive Certification (NE-BC) (Links to an external site.). [Website]. Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/our-certifications/nurse-executive/
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."