Week 3 DiscussionDiscussion Topic Overdue – Last Fri at 12:59 AM
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial responses to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your peers as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your peers’ initial postings. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Cite sources in your responses to other peers. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of the week.
Should America Fire Ronald McDonald?
There are ethical issues and potential ramifications to consider in marketing when unhealthy products (or those that would be unhealthy when consumed in excess) are sold. Examples could include some of the advertising used for sodas and sugary drinks, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, and high-calorie “junk food.” A particularly sensitive topic is the issue of marketing to children. Think about how perceptions of “healthy,” what business practices are socially acceptable, and where responsibilities lie have changed over time.
Several articles on this subject have been identified for you in the South University Online Library and are listed below. Review those and conduct your own research on this topic. Then respond to the following:
- Ronald McDonald has been a staple in advertising McDonald’s fast-food restaurants since the 1960s. What ethical issues do you see in using Ronald McDonald or McDonald’s new mascot, Happy, to market to children?
- Is it ethical to use either Ronald or Happy in McDonald’s charitable efforts? What issues concern you?
- Should McDonald’s and other food sellers do more to make their menus healthy?
- What changes do you think should be made to try and resolve some of these issues, and how would you go about implementing them?
Be sure to cite appropriately from your reading/research in your post and responses. As you respond to your peers, debate the resolution of ethical dilemmas based upon your reading, research, and experience; consider the issues from multiple perspectives and the problems that can arise when trying to resolve these issues.
You may use these references as you begin researching this assignment:
- Bakir, A., & Vitell, S. J. (2010). The ethics of food advertising targeted toward children: Parental viewpoint. Journal of Business Ethics, 91(2), 299–311. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10551-009-0084- 2
- Beaubien, G. (2011). Ronald McDonald’s role reduced in image revamp. Public Relations Strategist, 17(1), 27.
- Hansen, D. (2006, June 5). Ronald McDonald fronts 2010 Olympic fitness pitch. The Vancouver Sun.
- McDonald’s gives Ronald a makeover for a healthier image. (2005, June 10). Kamloops Daily News.
- McDonald’s introduces a new mission and image for Ronald McDonald. (2014). Food and Beverage Close-Up.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."