- Give a summary of the story: who? what? when? where?
- Give your critical (and personal) reaction to the chapter.
- Discuss what aspects of Caribbean piracy, religious and military conflict for control of the ‘Caribbean’ are illustrated by the story? What does the opening conversation (fictional) between Drake and John Hawkins reveal about the motivation of England to allow privateering against the Spanish? Why do you think that the narrator (Michener), predicts on page 88 that Francis Drake would sale his ship, the Judith, to both glory and shame?
- Who do you find yourself more sympathetic with? The Spanish? Or Francis Drake? Notice that the African slaves are not actors in this narrative; they only appear as commodities to be sold or traded.
– Michener’s Caribbean, chapter 4: The Spanish Lake. (attached)
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."